Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Story From My Pilates Mat

I have a little story to tell you today. Over the last week or so, my schedule has picked up tremendously. We're down to one car right now to give my car some much needed shop time for repairs (you can find that story here.) Anyway, I get to take my mom to and from work this week, continue spin classes and gear up the Pilates (of course!), and rehearsals (involving the pit orchestra) began on Sunday for a production of "Hairspray." Those rehearsals start around 7:00, but if any of you have been involved in any sort of theatre, you know those "start times" are gigantic, boldface lies. Meaning, call time is 7:00, but you don't end up actually starting anything until 8:00-8:30 for "technical issues," "extra performance notes," or whatever else they want to tell you that day. Frustrating? Yes, but that's just theatre work for you. 

So here's my little story: I think it was Monday. Over the past weekend, I did the 8:00am, 90 minute spin class (we totally killed it with hammers, blackouts and tebatas!!) on Saturday and had a big band jazz gig that night, only until around 10pm. On Sunday, my family did a big gardening day, and I also cleaned out our garage (eek!) from top to bottom. Sunday was also the first day of "Hairspray" rehearsals. That one was from 7:00-12:00! The first one with orchestra, costumes, tech and full lights always takes the longest. When I finally got home, I was having some well-deserved dinner and realized I hadn't done ANY Pilates yet! Crazy, crazy. I then went to my beloved Pilates mat and got to work. 

I decided it should be an upper body (arms and upper back) day with minimal core. Once I got on that mat, I totally killed it! It was a great workout. I managed to make a small lake of sweat on my mat when I laid down out of exhaustion. I stayed in that spot for a good twenty minutes. If it hadn't been for Star barking in her sleep a few times, I probably would've slept there! I was so tired and being just plain lazy; I barely mustered the effort to simply get up and retrieve a damp towel to clean off my mat. I know I cleaned off my mat and somehow managed to roll it up into its harness, but I have no memory of getting into bed. I must have, that's where I woke up the next morning, anyway. I slept hard that night, let me tell you. 

So that was my little story. In hindsight, it was pretty funny and just a little pathetic, but that's okay! I spend a great number of minutes laughing at myself. But hey, keep killing it on the bike, on the mat, and with whatever you're doing! 1...2...3...Go! Sweat Happy!